Looking for an all natural solution for many of your families health care needs? Look no further than essential oils!
They are the bees knees and mother nature’s arsenal of weapons to fight off illness, disease, the common cold, and many other maladies you may be dealing with on your homestead everyday.
Trust me, when I first heard essential oils I was a bit skeptical. Until I used peppermint oil one day from a friend I thought they were some placebo juju that weirdos came up with. Well my gastly assumptions are usually wrong as was this one. So I had a terrible headache and along came my good friend with her peppermint essential oil magic.
With its cool soothing power I was changed forever… my head ache gone and a renewed energy from the brisk sensation I was determined to get involved with these magnificent oils.
Enroll as a wholesale membership folks! 25% off oils, PLUS opportunities to get free product monthly, AND there’s a chance I could make my own business with oils?
Yes, Yes, and YES! I was sold. You can sign up to be a whole sale member like me or shop the wonderful retail inventory offered by DoTerra.
If you’re not so convinced let me take you through a day with the Gardner’s on the homestead and tell you how we use these 10 essential oils everyday.
Disclaimer: If you have never used essential oils I highly suggest diluting with a carrier oil for your first few uses with every oil to ensure you know your sensitivity. Everyones body can absorb these differently. A little bit goes A LONG WAY folks so take care not to over use or waste.
- Lime- This morning I threw some pork in the crockpot for carnitas… OH NO! I had no fresh limes… Instead I dropped 3-5 drops lime essential oil into the crockpot. Its amazing and sometimes I like the flavor better than fresh limes, the tangy sweetness is ever consistent in the oils versus lime to lime differences.
- Peppermint – I like to dab a little on the back of my neck in the morning, this wakes me up and feels so refreshing. Like stated above this oil does work in the headache department, give it a try, what can you lose? When dropped into a vegetable capsule the Homestud will take this like a normal pill. It helps with his digestion and heartburn. This is why this oil is also part of the Digestive blend (DigestZen).
- Lavender – Diffused in Ireland’s room every night and dropped onto pillows. Also dropped into baths just before she goes down for the night, it works like a charm.
- Wild Orange – This oil goes in my homemade deodorant and also into the hubby’s beard oil. It works wonders as a disinfectant, antibiotic and cleanser. And don’t even get me started on how amazing it smells… fuh-get-a-boud-id! I’ll even put it in my water bottle for flavor.
- Melaleuca – I commonly drip this oil into stinky loads of laundry or whatever I want to get really really clean. This oil clean basically any home surface as well. It’s easily the best combatant against mold in our home. I dripped it into the window frames and all over the window sills and the mold never came back, SCORE! (we rent an older manufactured home, the windows leak, and we’ve had issues with mold in the past) Several sites out there who bolstered the same success with melaleuca, or I may never have tried it. Athletes foot or fungus? No more if this oil is used daily.
- Lemongrass – Ok this may be my favorite smell ever, other than its fantastic fragrance, this oil works wonder on my plantar fasciitis. A couple drops simply rubbed into the soles of my feet. I also combine it with a natural un-scented all surface cleaner to add a extra cleaning kick and the aroma left behind is great.
- Respiratory blend (Breathe) – This time of the year the farm fam always gets cough or cold, this oil helps to relieve sinus and chest congestion with ease. I will also diffuse this in the girls’ room at night if they are feeling stuffy. Diluted with carrier oil breathe is the best substitute for vapor rub.
- Helichrysum – There are days we don’t need to use this super power oil, and there are day when we use it 2, maybe even 3 times. Any woman who has had the misfortune of pregnancy induced hemorrhoids, heres your solution girlfriends. Sorry to get graphic like this folks, but this is real life, I don’t claim to be anything but human. Diluted down with a carrier oil, helichrysum made my postpartum days much more tolerable, in cooperation with my homemade postpartum peri-spray (more on than later). My favorite use for this oil is as a blood stop/clot. I cut the tip of my middle finger off a few months, no joke, it was literally siting on the cutting board… ahem. Save to say, this little yellow labeled bottle wasn’t far from reach. I simply let one drop fall from the bottle onto the open wound, no pain, no muss no fuss. It stopped bleeding almost instantly forming an almost sticky protective coating much like that of a liquid bandage. Once it was dry I covered it with a dry bandaid and went about my business. It took the pain away efficiently, the wound was healed within 10 days, and no scarring. Convinced yet?
- Lemon – My most favorite scent for disinfecting the air and freshening up. Drinking a warm glass of water with a few drops of lemon right when you wake is said to have huge health benefits, and when I was pregnant this was my saving grace. It relieved nausea and helped me a great deal when I was squeamish with certain smells during both pregnancies. Lemon oil will flavor food and drinks. Want a lemon for your beer but you’ve run out? This also works with lime oil.
- Protective Blend (OnGuard) – I use this oil on the kids and myself before we go out to run errands, it boosts our immunities and helps fight off germs. Have a toothache or sore throat? This is nature’s Oragel. It will spot treat oral pain if applied right onto your gums or tooth, 1 or two drops at a time. When a sore throat hits add this to your warm salt water gargle and it will alleviate pain from your throat and cut through the mucous. Yes the taste is a bit intense with orange, clove, cinnamon, and eucalyptus oils all teaming up for the fight, but its way worth it folks.
There you have it. And yes a whole other blog post is needed to explain the uses of more essential oils, and even the ones that are safe for your farm animals. More on that later 🙂
Whats crazier? These are just the immediate affects, when used long term the oils can positively impact your health and change your life. They can be used only to alleviate symptoms, much like I was speaking about above in my list, or that can be used long term to help treat illnesses.
I am not a doctor nor do I claim to be able to diagnose to treat anyone. I am simply a person looking for another way to treat my families minor health concerns.
Diffusing wild orange, cedar wood andlavender while drooling over seed catalogues.